Nuffnang

Monday, May 25, 2009

The Parking Boy

You can see them in all places…in the pedestrian walk, sleeping under the foot bridge, in abandoned buildings, cardboard boxes, and parks or on the street itself. The sad thing about them, people are getting immune with their presence and they keep on ignoring them.

I just wonder why the populations of street children are escalating…are the local governments of different cities are aware about it?  For sure they are well informed about their existence...but don’t they have any programs for them? I hope so…
When I was looking at them, I just asked myself what type of parents (not being judgmental but it was me wondering) they have that they are allowing their kids to stay outside, to work until late?  To sleep in a dark and grimy streets and the fact that they don’t have any blanket that will cover and protect their fragile bodies against the different elements outside the streets that may possibly deteriorate their health not counting those evil-spirit-tormented people that might take advantage of their innocence.

Let me share this story, last April 21-24, 2009, I joined a summer youth camp organized by the Sumulong Baptist Church or SBC Main Church and its affiliated Churches.  The theme of the camp for this year was “Call of Duty” World at War.  It was conducted at Mt. Peniel Campsite situated in Brgy. O’ Donell, Capaz, Tarlac.

The group left in the morning of Tuesday, April 21 and since it’s a four days event, I had to complete first all my pending and obligations at work before I run out of the office.  My plan was to go after them at night just by myself, but God is so good that he didn’t want me to travel alone, instead he wanted me to enjoy the hours of staying in the bus with a sister in Christ named Dina who happened to miss the bus scheduled departure to finished some commitment.  We traveled together. 

We arrived in Capaz, Tarlac at around 11:00 P.M and while waiting for Pastor Jeff and Rick (one of the youth leaders) to bring us to the site; we decided to look for a place to stay and thank God that across the street we saw a 24-hours open Chinese fast-food restaurant.  When we were about to go into the establishment, suddenly a sluggish and dirty looking young boy blocked the way that we were leading and extending his skinny right arm towards us asking for something…money, I guess.

I felt a sudden rushed of curiosity towards this boy that made me invite him to join us inside the restaurant and eat with us.  While eating together, I simply glance at him and made an observation.  I am afraid that if he will notice what I am doing, he might be distracted and will become uncomfortable while eating his food.
The boy looked so tired and restless.  He was wearing an old-faded-clothes; his unruly-hair made him looked like he was been there for long hours.

I actually asked his name, but I will admit that I can’t remember it now (I don’t have talent in memorizing names at the first time of meeting).  While eating, I asked him about his personal stuff and I learned that he was 10 years old but I should say that most likely he looked like an eight-year-old boy, maybe because of the small build of his body.

I learned that he was a parking-boy and during summer he spent most of his time at the parking area of the restaurant, doing his part-time job which was guiding customers of the restaurant in parking their cars and in exchange to that, was a few coins.  At the end of the night, he gives his earnings to his parents.

He told me that their house was located across the street, and he was living together with his siblings and parents who were both jobless.  I also asked him if he smoke and he said “Hindi po Ma’am, pero si kuya po nakikita ko palagi” (No Ma’am, but I always saw my older brother smoking).  I told him not to even try it and he said YES, I WILL NOT.  He even told me that his brother always bullied him and I asked him why… he looked at me and said “I don’t know why, he just always punches me over my head.”  It’s totally depressing I guess… but I was amazed when I learned that despite his situation, he still managed to go to school and was an incoming grade four student… wow its awesome.

I sensed that this young boy in front of me has a good character, if you ask me why, I should say that it’s all because he knows how to deal with adult people like us… (”lol”) seriously, what I mean is there was a humility in the way he talked to me and he even know how to used the “Po and Opo” as a signed of giving respect.

In the middle of our conversation, I asked him if he know who is Jesus Christ and he said a big “Yes”…and I asked him again if he know how to pray and he nod his head.  An imaginary light turn-on over my head as a sign of hope…the boy was already on his hand.

I told to this boy not to forget to pray to God always, because he will surely lead his life to greatness.  One thing that I am sure, he will possibly grow to be a great man of his generation.  That he will stand-out someday, not because of his own skills alone but because of God’s Will as he remained obedient to him.  With God all things are possible…


"Circumstances don’t affect your chances for success nearly as much you’re level of effort!" (God’s little Devotional book for Graduates)

Joshua 1:9
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”


“Patience is bitter but its fruit is sweet. Put your patience to use in the pursuit of your dreams.” (God’s little Devotional book for Graduates)

Hebrews 10:36

“For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help us to help you. Feed our minds