Nuffnang

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Online Schooling in a VENN High-Back chair

My husband is in his 3rd year college of his online schooling and pursuing a career in Complimentary and Alternative Health.  Daily he is wired, reading his virtual text-books, doing researches to support and write for their weekly deadlines depending on guidelines their instructor provided and asked them to submit.  He is also required to make comments in responds to his classmates and instructor posts on their virtual classroom.  

Compared in going to school that requires student's physical presence, online schooling is much flexible in terms of time spent in the class though the same principle is applied, student needs to have self-discipline towards meeting school deadlines and self-eagerness to access the knowledge with less supervision and not being spoon fed.
Since Joshua was home-schooled from 11th to 12th grader, he had practiced the self-initiative and the discipline needs to finish what he started.  

But online schooling still requires time, while he faces the laptop with his hands on the keyboard and his mind at work, a comforting studying and seating position is a must.

I mentioned to the article I wrote last October, "Give in Love Language" that months prior to Joshua's birthday, I was considering to get him an office chair because the black chair that provided him a year of service suddenly collapsed though instead of getting it, I had him some items (budget wise).  Still I was envisioning one day, he will enjoy his high-back chair.  It would be a good investment too since we are planning and praying to start a business, God willing.
  

Joshua's old wooden chair

Today, the visioned was fulfilled.  On our way to Jackson, Tennessee, while looking for a car to buy in replacement for our sold Bravada, I asked him if we can stop by to a thrift office store to look for an office chair, gladly he agreed and even suggested Goodwill store.  But when he saw the big sign of Office Depot he immediately said, "let's go to Office Depot" and made a quick U-turn. 

Inside the store, I became more excited while my eyes were quickly looking around trying to find the office chairs section.  So when we saw the corner in which the different high-chairs were displayed, holding hands we walked to the way we thought leading to it but to our amazement, we were standing inside a closed filed of computer stuff building a dead-end wall.  We turned back and find a way out from it with a smile on our face. Finally, we made our purchase.  We got a black new VENN High-Back chair for a price of $59.99 only.  
  
VENN High-Back chair (front view)


VENN High-Back chair (side view)

Tips in making purchase: 

1. Compare prices and Affordability according to budget

-It was a good timing for us to be there, because some of the high-back chairs were on sale.  When we saw that the color black VENN High-Back chair was on sale with a discounted price of $59.99 from its original price of $129.99 (with $70 off) we agreed that it was a good price for a new one compared to some of the items which had prices  ranging from $100 dollars and up.  In my mind, it was a good find and according to my computation it was far cheaper than the office chairs we saw at Henderson Home Furnishing days ago.  But still, I was waiting for the final approval of my husband as him being the head of our family, I need to subject myself to him.  

1 Peter 3:1a
Like, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands;

He mentioned to look at Good Will thrift store thinking to find a much cheaper items.  If not, we will just go back to get the chair from Office Depot. 



2. Comfortability of Design, try it first!

- When I was working with VA Diaz Insurance Consulting back in the Philippines, one of the things I learned from my boss Ms. Venus, before buying any shoes she told me to consider my feet's comfortability while wearing the shoes by walking with them first for a longer time.  Same principle we applied in getting a chair, so I asked Joshua to feel the chair while seating on it.  I even suggested to him to lay his back while rotating it.  I myself tried it too.  

Proverbs 1:5
A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

Joshua feeling the chair


3.  Stay on what you need, talk about it and be united in your decision. 

 -   As I mentioned in tip number one, I was still waiting for the final approval of my husband before making a purchase.  Our decision needs to be united plus that he is the financier.  Since we were already at the Office Depot, I asked him if we can get a file folders to sort the documents we received from immigration, car and health insurance, notices from Department of Health and some of his printed documents.  He agreed and even get a three-holes puncher.  When we were about to pay it, the total purchased was almost half-of-the-price of the chair.  So, while the cashier was processing our rewards card, I talked with my husband and reasoned out that its better to get the chair which was the primal reason we went there plus that is what we need to purchase at a moment and a good investment in doing his online school task.  Finally, he was convinced.  Good thing the cashier was accommodating and redo the computation. 



Fixing time
doing his online task with comfy high-back chair

We still went to Good Will thrift store looking for additional lamp to light up Abigail's bassinet even though it has already a light.  Thankful to God when we got there, there was no available office chairs nor good lamp.   My husband said, "good thing we already got the chair from Office Depot".  It saved us time, and fuel.  

Colossians 3:15 KJV
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
 


God is good and we are thankful that he is providing all the things that we need not just the material things but the wisdom leading us to unity in making decisions as husband and wife.  It was always healthy to have a devotion and ask guidance from Him through prayer before starting the day.   


My husband is a happy buyer, he is enjoying his seat now.  He even unintentionally crushed my USB cover while excitedly arranging his study place. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Help us to help you. Feed our minds