Nuffnang

Monday, July 1, 2013

Bridal Shower

Yesterday, our Christ Community Church family gave us a Bridal shower.  It was organized by the mothers and sisters in Christ as headed by Mrs. Allison, the wife of our pastor.
 
It was an overwhelming experience for my husband and I knowing that we haven't experience anything like it before.  On my part, I couldn't remember attending a bridal shower of my relatives or friends, probably because it was not a customary practice in the Philippines.  Some do it but majorities are not.  Obviously, on Joshua's part, bridal shower is a girly thing.  

Joshua decided to stay with me after the indoor and outdoor picnic, an earlier Church celebration of Independence day.  At first he was hesitant, he was thinking that the shower was for ladies only, but the good thing about it, a young boy Aaron, the son of our sister in Christ, was also there to witness the unwrapping of gifts. At least Joshua was comforted that he wasn't the only male present.

The shower was announced weeks earlier through the effort of the ladies in Thursday prayer team.  Joshua and I were not expecting such gracious treatment from any body, perhaps being together and be married after an overseas relationship and long period of waiting was one of our greatest desires.  It was enough for us.  Praise Jesus Christ for making the desires of our hearts fulfilled.  A warm welcome from our church family is an additional reward from our fatherly heaven that made our hearts wanting Him more.

When church family heard about the shower party, they started asking us what was our preferred gifts.  I remember heard the old brother named Mr. Steve asking my husband, "What do you need?" my husband who was always honest replied back, "computer software", and Mr. Steve started laughing.  I over heard someone saying, "it's cute".  Joshua was serious when he said it.  Truly, being wired together on his online schooling, and maintaining our websites required a good computer software/installer mostly the one with Microsoft office and outlook.  Then Mr. Steve turned to me and threw a joke, "let me ask the boss."  Everyone looked at me, waiting for my response.  I replied back and said, "we need prayers."

Every time people asked us about what we need, I always responded that we need prayers.  We are thankful enough to God that He is providing our daily needs more than we deserved.  If I will use the secular definition of being rich in terms of worldly possession or based on materialism, I would say that my husband and I have just enough.  We both believe and are confident that the blessing we daily receive from the Lord make us rich including the salvation and eternal freedom we are celebrating day after day.  

We always grabbed the opportunity to let people know that prayers are highly needed in our live, mostly those who intentionally asked us.  When Apostle Paul wrote a letter to Ephesians, he encouraged them to, "praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.  To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the the saints (Ephesians 6:18, English Standard Version)."  Joshua and I are both encouraged to make our life become a prayer for it make us more dependent and closer with God not just for our own benefits but to reach people of the world at large.  







 Before I left the Philippines, I remember the words of my spiritual mother and mentor as she  prayed for me.  "She beseech God to bless me and be surrounded with people to make me more closer with Jesus Christ to edify me, and that I will love Jesus Christ daily as He reigns in my life."

The prayer was answered, my husband and I are blessed with people who shared their time, helped us in their sweet-genuine ways and welcomed us lovingly. 

The whole time of the shower was fun.  I love the part wherein, we played the game commonly known as broken telephone.  We were divided into two teams.  I was at the first team while Joshua was to the other one.  Mrs. Allison requested us to seat at the end of the lines.  The catch was the last person must decode the words she wrote and handed to the person seating in front.  She quoted a words in wedding related phrases.  

It was fun seeing the two teams while they were whispering to one another.  Joshua was the first one who asked to decode it but unfortunately it was nothing like how it started out to be so we don't remember it anymore.  When it was my turn, instead of saying " to have and to hold from this day forward." I said, "to love and to hold from this day forward." Gee!

I love to end this article with a verse from some Psalms 36:7 -9, KJV: “How excellent is thy loving kindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures. For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help us to help you. Feed our minds